Sunday, July 27, 2008

Atlas vs. Nvivo

I've spent a few days trying to 1) Learn Atlas and 2) get Nvivo to work. I was successful in one and failed miserably at the other. I can see huge benefits in learning Atlas; I just have to be patient with the learning curve. It's frustrating sometimes to learn new things and I tend to try to rush through them. I'm thankful my experience over the past couple of years have taught me to be open to new software programs. I think, too, that I have also learned to have more patience. :)

I've noticed that while Atlas is a useful tool, it is still primarily the researcher's responsibility to analyze and provide observations based upon the data. The program can't do the "real" thinking. It also seems that there are many ways to perform the same functions. This can be good if a user is very familiar with the program, but it could also be discouraging to a novice.

Since I couldn't get Nvivo to download more than 83% onto my laptop, I did research to see what the program was like. It appears that Nvivo allows for audio and video analysis, something that I don't think Atlas.ti can do. If I was interested in studying video data, I might decide to use Nvivo over Atlas.ti.

No comments: