Tuesday, July 29, 2008

End of Summer Thoughts

. The summer flew by quickly and it felt like everday brought new challenges. I've spent the summer with my nose in text books and my laptop on my desk. (It does feel good to be a student, but it is a bit tiring). Last night I was reflecting on everything I have learned and it seemed surprising that I could have come so far in only 10 weeks. I've learned to question my assumptions, determine my motivation for a subject matter, ask questions, and speak up and ask for clarification during class. I've learned who some of the primary figures in the TC field are and I've read some amazing essays. I've learned about the Techrhet list. I've learned to be more sensitive to participants in any studies I might try to conduct. I've also learned about the importance of protecting participants privacy, calling them participants and not subjects, and to go through the IRB process if I ever hope to be published!

2 comments:

Cheri Mullins said...

Fantastic! How could anyone ask for better results? Sounds like you have had an extremely successful class. Congrats!

Becky/Rebecca said...

I agree with Cheri. I think too often in grad courses/content courses, we are satisfied with content only. I think, particularly with research methods. we need to learn content, yes, but to begin to think more contextually, more rhetorically, and to challenge assumptions and think critically about WHAT we do, WHY we do it, and HOW it manifests itself (or SHOULD) in our data analysis and representation.

I hope you'll apply what you've learned as you continue to read research critically and conduct it ethically.

Have a great year, and looking forward to "seeing" you again!